Jenny's Reviews > Rise and Shine

Mar 04, 08

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction
Read in March, 2008

This is quite possibly one of the worst books I've read recently. I enjoyed Black & Blue back when it was an Oprah book but this is just . . . ugh. It doesn't have characters, it has cliché after cliché. Hard career woman, perfect teen, sassy wise black women, bleeding heart social workers, crusty old cops . . . the list goes on and none of them are particularly likeable or interesting. And the "incident" that sets everything into motion was laughable.

By the end I didn't care what happened to anyone, I just wanted it to be over. I guess that's why it was on the BOGO rack at the bookstore.
19 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise and Shine.

Kathy Agreed!!!

Marissa Totally agree with your review- I'm struggling through it right now, I should just quit but I have this obsession with finishing books once I start. Agh.

Elizabeth Kvamme Agreed. The incident itself was boring & I found myself thinking "What's the big deal?" This book was full of cliches & painfully boring.

Joanne Avery I couldn't agree more. One sister was perfect, the other was a martyr. I read about 60 pages and then after the comment about the elevator in the housing project being constantly broken and the fat women petitioned for apartments on the first and second floors - are you kidding me? Because all skinny women love running up four and flights of steps, right? But sassy Tequila got a spacious two bedroom on the top floor. I guess she was an Olympian poor person, lucky her.