Monique's Reviews > Whisper Kiss

bookshelves: book-of-secrets-review
Read from August 03 to 07, 2011

Originally reviewed at Book of Secrets

4.5 Stars

Whisper Kiss is the love story of dragon shifter, Niall Talbot and tattoo artist, Roxanne Kincaid. This was the first novel that I have read by Deborah Cooke. What I really liked about this novel was the ease in which I was introduced to past characters and learned some of the back story of the series. Whisper Kiss is the fifth book in the Dragonfire series and I was a bit concerned that I would not know what was going on. But I was pleasantly surprised that I was not lost at all.

Rox was a tough chick with a soft heart and part owner of a tattoo shop. With her punk rocker clothes and tattooed skinned, I kept picturing Kat Von D from the show, LA Ink. Niall was a serious straight laced character who runs an eco-tourism business. In his dragon state he mesmerized Rox with his amethyst and platinum scales. Rox had lived with a dragon shifter named Thorolf for three years so when she witnessed Niall’s shift to protect her, she was not surprised. What was surprising to Niall was that she was the catalyst to his firestorm. The firestorm is the mark of a Pyr (dragon shifter) finding his mate. To satisfy the firestorm, the Pyr must consummate the relationship with his mate and the result is the conception of a male dragon shifter. Prior to hearing this Rox was ready to jump Niall’s bones as the firestorm has her hot and ready for his touch. The thought of conceiving a child puts a damper on her lust though as she doesn’t feel ready to commit to such a permanent bond. When Niall finally decides to give in to the firestorm he waits patiently for Rox to give in to the firestorm as well. But Niall’s firestorm comes at a very inopportune time as the shadow dragons are starting to make their move against Niall and the rest of Pyr and it seems that Niall is the main target. Not only are all the shadow dragons trying to kill the Pyr but Niall’s twin brother Phelan is determined to steal Rox for himself.

I loved the loyalty of the Pyr towards one another and to their mates. There were vivid fight scenes that I could picture clearly. The shadow dragons were ripped limb to limb with the body parts incinerated by dragon fire. The Pyr all worked together in defense of the earth and the humans. They all fought so viciously to protect their families sometimes carrying their mates and children with them while flying in the air fighting off shadow dragons.

The pacing of the story was great. I really enjoyed Rox’s and Niall’s love story. The sexual tension between the two caused by the firestorm kept me captivated throughout the novel. The integration of past characters from the other books in the series and the back story was seamless. Deborah Cooke has a new fan as I now feel compelled to read the other books in this series. Whisper Kiss is highly recommended for any paranormal romance junkie who is a fan of sexy dragon shifters and gets 4.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper Kiss.

08/04/2011 page 132