Ashley's Reviews > Scrawl

Scrawl by Mark Shulman

Apr 05, 11

it was ok
Read from April 01 to 05, 2011 , read count: 1

I actually feel kind of bad for giving this book 2 stars. Everyone else who's read this book seems to love it. I thought it was mediocre. It was interesting enough that I wanted to finish it, but not so fantastically amazing that I just couldn't put it down.

Things I liked about this book:
I liked the style in which this book is written. It's not formal writing. It's all a "journal" from a high school bully kid, so it's not written like a typical fiction novel. I also thought the narrator - the high school bully - was very funny sometimes. A quote that literally made me lol:

"Next class was Art class. I was supposed to be drawing a bird. Any kind of bird. The only birds I know are the pigeon, the chicken, and the middle finger."

There are a few moments like that one that made me laugh. But other than that, nothing about this book was especially interesting.

Things I didn't like about this book:
Usually I can tell when I am going to really enjoy a book because I get sucked in fairly quickly - usually within the first 50 or 60 pages. That didn't happen with this book. I saw the endless positive reviews this book had so I kept thinking "it's gonna get really good really soon" and I spent the entire time reading this book waiting for that to happen. And because it never did happen, this book was a slow read for me. It's the kind of book that, if it interests you, you can breeze through a chapter in a few minutes and before you know it, you're done. However, because it never sucked me in, I couldn't read large portions of this book at once. I'd read 2 to 3 chapters a day, then put it down because I was bored. Because of that, it took me a lot longer to read this book than it should have. I could've gotten through this book in a day and a half, considering I was busy most of the day on the day I picked this up. And the last thing I didn't like about this book is that I never really grew to like any of the characters, even the main character/narrator. Usually the main character is a person who you like from the beginning because they're the good guy, or they are the bad guy, but they grow on you and you empathize with them after you learn about their hard lives and whatnot. The main character in this book is an underprivileged kid who is a lot smarter and talented than he lets people think. Normally, I would've felt sympathy for that kind of character. But something about this kid made me indifferent. Also, I was expecting the main character to experience a lot of emotional and mental growth by the end of the book, but I found the character fell short in that area.

Overall, this was an extremely mediocre book, in my opinion. Nothing special, new, unique, different, or ahead of its time in this one. To be completely honest, the only thing that really encouraged me to finish this book [I almost gave up about 70% of the way through] is knowing it'd be one more book to add to my reading challenge.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrawl.

04/01/2011 page 17