Lady*M's Reviews > Freeman

Freeman by Clare London

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: m-m-romance, mystery, contemporary, favorites
Read from March 31 to April 01, 2011

Sometimes I like the book so much that I'm afraid to read it again: What if it doesn't live up to my original impressions? In the case of Freeman not only did I love the book but the narrator of the story - Freeman himself - reveals the mystery to us in a way he does everything else: by keeping his cards close to his chest. Knowing that, I was afraid the magic of the story would be lost on the second reading. I didn't have to worry.

There is so much in this story that was practically tailored to my taste that I have to restrain myself from gushing. The atmosphere of the story appears to come right out of The Limey (although Freeman isn't as violent as Terence Stamp, Peter Fonda certainly can be George) or one of Guy Ritchie's movies. It's dark and oppressive and fabulously English - the danger lurks under the surface of good manners and polished veneer. Freeman fits into that setting like fish fits the water: he is cool, collected, mysterious, honorable. He might have a relaxed attitude towards the law, but his own moral code is unshakable. His voice is mesmerizing and you have no other option but to fall under the spell, even when you know he isn't telling you everything. Kit - young, naive, stubborn, proud Kit - is perfect to uncover the most important part of Freeman, even when everything else remains hidden - his heart. There was a part of their first love scene where Kit broke my heart and I couldn't help myself but want a happy ending for him, for both of them. The supporting cast was also excellent. George, Miki, Stella are all types, but they are by no means two-dimensional. There is more to them than meets the eye - just the way it should be. The climax of the story was simply delicious.

I enjoyed many of Clare London's books a lot, but I think Freeman is her best so far. This is a grownup book in every sense of the word - the writing, the clever plotting, the characters (not to mention lovely sex scenes). I recognize that this might not be to everyone's taste, but for me - it was perfect. Highly, highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freeman.

03/31/2011 page 148
62.0% "Shit happens, as someone just said. - Freeman is too cool for words."
03/31/2011 page 177
74.0% "Ah, Kit... He breaks my heart. :("