Jacinda's Reviews > Breaking Beautiful

Breaking Beautiful by Jennifer Shaw Wolf

Apr 12, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from March 08 to 09, 2012

You can also find my review of Breaking Beautiful on my blog

I was hoping to read Breaking Beautiful and find it to be beautiful. That didn’t happen. I found it to be kind of broken.

I know the above couple of sentences sound a bit harsh. I couldn’t connect with Breaking Beautiful in anyway…well maybe one way. I will get to it. Let’s start off with the protagonist Allie. I didn’t feel sorry for her in the slightest. This sounds rather horrible of me since her boyfriend just died and this boyfriend was also physically abusing her. I eye-rolled SO many times. I was screaming at Allie in my head to just tell the flipping truth already! She just kept digging herself into deeper holes…it didn’t make any sense to me. If she didn’t do these things, I guess we wouldn’t’ have a story though.

Allie’s parents I couldn’t stand. Allie’s mom seems to be so wrapped up in outward appearances and how her and her family are perceived in town, she doesn’t seem to notice what has been happening to her daughter and that her daughter is struggling. Maybe I wasn’t supposed to like them…I’m not totally sure. I do know that they weren’t the “smother you with love” parent types.

I was one-third of the way into Breaking Beautiful and I kept wondering when SOMETHING was going to happen. Just anything. It took a bit longer after that point for the author to start moving the story forward. As you can tell, this story had a bit of a slow start for me.

The one and only thing I found enjoyable in this story were two characters: Andrew & Caitlyn. Andrew is Allie’s twin brother and I fell in love with him from the start. I also loved Caitlyn when she was introduced later in the story…I won’t tell you for what reasons. She’s very accepting and is a super sweet, nice, and loving girl.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Beautiful.

03/09/2012
03/09/2012
72.0% "Lots of eye-rolling going on..."