Sandra's Reviews > Airborne

Airborne by Constance Sharper

F 50x66
Mar 31, 11

** spoiler alert ** I didn't know what to make of the harpie idea from the summary but upon reading, I loved it. She took the mythology and made it a modern paranormal classic. Harpies are arrogant, nasty, and very tall people (human looking) with angel wings. Mason (the starring harpie) is a character to fall in love with. His personality isn't flat but instead he's one of the most round character in the book. In fact, all of the characters seemed dynamic barring few. Avery is the protagonist of the story. The author did a good job in making her realistic, unique, but with universal appeal. Her personality develops dynamically over the course of the show.
I loved the characters but it's still a plot driven story. The plot is quick paced and has a clear goal by the end of the book.
*Some spoiler starting here*
The plot follows Avery, a normal high school student who happens to stumble upon a "shiny rock" on her California vacation. She returns to her boarding school only to find that the "shiny rock" she picked up was a harpie amulet. Mason shows up to get it back. The problem arises when they figure out that the amulet has broken open and the magic has gotten stuck in Avery's body. Stuck together, Mason and Avery go on a mission to get the magic out of her body and they go bashing heads the entire way. There is a lot of humor and not too much romance. The author makes it entertaining but realistic. No undying love at first sight done here which is a relief. Anyways, their escapades are complicated by the other harpies who want to cut Avery open to get the magic back. The plot is complex and interlinking and I was surprised how much it kept you thinking. There is a little bit of mystery here.
It leaves off for a sequel, which is needed to wrap up the characters lives, but I'm happy of where it ended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Airborne.