Alazzar's Reviews > Doorways in the Sand

Doorways in the Sand by Roger Zelazny

Feb 14, 15

Read from March 31 to April 03, 2011 — I own a copy

I just don’t get how he does it.

No matter how many Zelazny stories I read, he still finds a way to surprise and amaze me. I simply cannot fathom how he keeps track of so many characters and creates plot twists that are entirely unpredictable yet still believable within the frame of the story. And then, just when you think you have everything figured out, more information is unveiled and your appreciation for the masterful storytelling increases a thousand fold.

I really don’t know what else to say about Doorways in the Sand, beyond these Zelazny generalizations. It’s a fast read with an interesting premise and an interesting protagonist (not to mention an interesting cast of supporting characters). And, as I said, the plot twists and revelations are all superbly done.

I’ll admit that the cover art of my edition (and the description on the back) made me think this would be more of a “galactic” sci-fi tale (for lack of a better term), but the vast majority of the book takes place on Earth in what could easily pass for modern-day society (there aren’t a bunch of flying cars zipping around, or robots tending bars, or laser-fights). And I sort of like that about the book. I don’t think you’d need to be a big sci-fi fan to like it. You could probably like it just fine if you enjoyed fantasy or even the standard thriller. (Okay, you can’t hate SF if you’re going to try this book, because there are still SF elements to it, but still . . .)

Highly recommended for any Zelazny fan.
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doorways in the Sand.

04/01 page 94