♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Apr 02, 11

bookshelves: ebook, fiction, fantasy, asia, book-of-the-month, young-adult, dragon
Read from April 01 to 02, 2011, read count: 1

I have mixed feelings about this book. I really didn't want to read it at first, because I thought it was just another "girl masquerades as boy and saves the world" type thing. But after a bit of discussion in the Sci Fi & Fantasy group I figured maybe this book would be worth something after all. But, it wasn't. Not really.

The main issue I had with this book was the main character. It made me so mad that the author picked almost every single character flaw out there and put it on Eon. A few character flaws are necessary to create a strong, round main character, but taking every single one in the book and smacking it onto your heroine is just lame.

On a positive note, the plot was not too predictable (although most YA books are predictable), and the other characters were all very interesting. This was also one of the few Asian themed books that I have read recently, and for that I did enjoy the exposure to the fantasy world mix of China and Japan.

I disliked the end, since this was one of those books that builds up for a series. It could have been written more delicately, without leaving the whole ending open and annoying.

With that said, the first 3/4ths of the book were great and engaging and interesting. The last 1/4th I didn't enjoy at all.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

03/31/2011
2.0% ""Women have no place in the world of the dragon magic. It is said they bring corruption to the art, and do not have the physical strength or depth of character needed to commune with an energy dragon. It is also thought that the female eye, too practised in gazing at itself, cannot see the truth of the energy world." And that is why books like this piss me off. xd"
03/31/2011
4.0% "Okay, WHAT THE FUCK?? xD Honestly... your main character first off is a girl masquarading as a boy in like THE most serious ceremony ever... and if found out would probably be killed and have all her friends and family killed as well. Your main character is not just a girl, but also a cripple. Great. Not only that, but on top of that (!!) your main character is also 4 years past the age requirement! Like I said: WTF?"
03/31/2011
4.0% "Okay, now I am a little pissed. I was enjoying hte book til now! Come on! You don't need a main character that along with all the other crap I mentioned ALSO has this new special power that she is too afraid to show anyone. Next you'll tell me she's the 'chosen one', born especially to 'free the mirror dragon' and 'save all mankind!'"
03/31/2011
6.0% "I feel like I should write something positive... so... the writing style and layout is good so far. Action scenes are good, history doesn't take away from the plot and it has captured my interest. The characters seem realistic, except for Eon who I detest for being too wretched."
04/01/2011
11.0% "Okay, I don't hate the story all that much anymore. It's actually kind of interesting. :)"
04/01/2011
12.0% "So Eon has all the physical and magical flaws, and yet she is still pristine emotionally and spiritually. Like, honestly, the most 'perfect' character ever."
04/01/2011
17.0% "So getting to be an apprentice is only part of the story. What is the rest? Defeating Lord Ido? Reestablishing the mirror dragon?"
04/01/2011
27.0% "I like that Eon was chosen by the Mirror Dragon. It definitely rounds out the story in a way to give her the power and position that she needs in order to fix things!"
04/01/2011
40.0% "Okay, next bit of plot that I predict: The prince and Eon will become bestest buds, and he will discover her secret, get really pissed and eventually they will end up together."
04/01/2011
50.0% "Okay, I'm getting bored with the story. It's building up and building up and I hate tension like this. Just get it over with already!"
04/01/2011
53.0% "More and more as I read this I notice elements that have been borrowed from other books. Nothing is all that original in this work. And yet, I don't hate it. wonder why that is."
04/01/2011
58.0% "I cannot imagine that living in their high profile society, that the Dragoneye's wouldn't suspect being poisoned. Especially if they have enemies! The master letting himself be poisoned like that, and not suspecting anything, that is suspicious to me."
04/01/2011
68.0% "Okay, I can totally tell that Eon is a kid, or a teenager or just a plain idiot. They are told over and over that to connect to the dragons they need to be in balance, so why the fuck would Eon even think "finally making sure that my Sun energy was as high as possible... to finally get rid of the Moon" ???? Is all her training that relaxed that she can just toss it out the window when needed?"
04/01/2011
68.0% "Oh right, I forgot to update about the fact that her master is a pedophile. Creepy. Especially since he BROKE HER HIP for her! geeeeez. All of a sudden I am thinking respect is perhaps too kind."
04/01/2011
68.0% ""the pearls around my forearm stirred sluggishly. Their grip seemed to have slackened over the past few days." and Eon doesn't think that this is a problem? really? honestly? truly? What the fuck?? I hate this book right now."
04/01/2011
70.0% "There are too many instances in this book that prove to me that the author doesn't understand the teenage psyche at all. The way out? Oh, it's just a fantasy book in a world that doesn't exist. Sorry, not buying it. No one is THIS stupid and yet still manages to garner allies and live. No way."
04/01/2011
71.0% "Okay, so this is the climax? Eon is now being controlled by Ido. Thus the odds are stacked ever more against her, excpet now it's because she was the biggest idiot ever. Can't even see what is happening right in front of her nose. Yeah, i hate this book."
04/01/2011
73.0% "Okay, so now it's rape time? So, will the author try and break her further by having her be raped, or not? Just the threat is enough? (I suppose rape would take this book off the YA to the adult shelves, so maybe no rape, just the almost)."
04/02/2011
74.0% "slow going now..."
show 1 hidden update…