Jacqueline's Reviews > Alterant

bookshelves: author-sherrilyn-kenyon
Recommended to Jacqueline by: Auto-buy author
Recommended for: Anyone!
Read from October 07 to 17, 2011, read count: Once

Action, suspense, more action, epic fight scenes, hardcore characters, more epic fight scenes...oh, and did I mention sheer awesomeness wrapped up in 407 pages?!

This book is exactly what every book should be, and more! Evalle is such a fascinating woman that I can't help but find myself enraptured with any and everything that happens to this female lead! What's more, the reality is simply that no author ever snags me so easily by creating what I call the single-character-stories. It's fairly popular for a writer to create one character, and subsequently telling this character's story in a series. That has never, ever interested me.

Why? Simple.

It takes an insane amount of talent, creativity, and excellent character development for me to stay interested in a single character for longer than one book. I once assumed this was a feat that no author could ever achieve, but Sherri and Di completely proved me wrong with the Belador series!

Alterant was, in many ways, so ahead of my expectations that it's almost a moot point. I was very interested in this series with book one, Blood Trinity, but my interest was of the standard "this-is-Sherri-and-Di-and-thus-far-I'm-loving-it" type. Now, having read Alterant, my interest is at the level of "HOLY HOLY HOLY GOD!" Not exactly a very literary description for my adoration, but the statement sure does a nice job of summarizing my emotions.

Alterant delivers in every conceivable way. The plot remains high charged and dramatic, sprinkling amazing action and suspense into an already action-packed suspenseful series. Every character, from those which remain close to Evalle physically and/or emotionally, to the perceived and obvious evil baddies, plays an extremely important role in moving this story from Point A to Point B, and so on.

The characters, of course, are perfectly constructed, and I would find it abysmal if a reader could think otherwise. The writing, as always, was on point and witty, professional and fun. I realize we all have our opinions, of course, but I doubt many could legitimately locate a single flaw within this novel...and that is such a rarity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alterant.

Quotes Jacqueline Liked

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“What’s a girl to wear to spend eternity in prison?’ – Evalle”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Time had a grudge against her.’ – Evalle”

“I’m a little busy to help you find women, Storm.” – Evalle
“Talking to you is more challenging than petting a porcupine.” – Storm”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“And why did knowing that he only wanted to find Evalle for that one reason feel like a paper cut doused with lemon juice? Because her brain had wandered off into Stupid Land.’ – Evalle”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Do I look like one-stop shopping for solving your problems?” – Evalle”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“By all means, anything to move this along and spare me from spending any more of eternity here.” – Loki
“If being immortal is an inconvenience, I am willing to end your suffering…now.” – Ares
“I would find that amusing for the few minutes it would take to destroy you.” – Loki”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Welcome to life as the lowest pawn in a deadly game.’ – Kizira”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“I may not be able to stop you from killing me to get your pound of flesh, Tristan, but touch me – ” She let her gaze drop to the bulge in his pants and spun the dagger in her hands. “And I’ll get my own pound of flesh with one swipe.” – Evalle”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“She put a higher value on independence than an asthmatic put on oxygen.’ Tzader”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“It’s been a while since I probed someone’s subconscious this deeply, and if you recall, the last time ended in less than ideal results.” – Quinn
“That’s a diplomatic way to say the guy stroked out during the session.” - Tzader”

Sherrilyn Kenyon
“Quinn gave up thinking. If he could take his head off and shove it in a deep freeze right now, he would.’ – Quinn”

10/12/2011 page 153
40.0% "HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK ROCKS!!"
10/15/2011 page 243
63.0% "The fight scenes ALONE make this book hardcore awesome!"
10/16/2011 page 276
72.0% "This book just CAN'T get any better...can it? Holy GOD I'm loving it!"