Christine's Reviews > My Family and Other Animals

My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

Mar 31, 11

Read in March, 2011

I cannot believe how long I had this book on my shelf without reading it...years! First of all, I did not realize it was an autobiography. That would have made me pick it up much sooner. As would having read the back which alludes to how humorous it is. It is about Gerry and his mom and older siblings moving to sunny Corfu. The people in the books from the family to the peasants are delightful! Many animals are personified as well and added to the family - Widdle and Puke (pups), Quasimodo the pigeon, and the Magenpies.

I admit that some of the detail related to scenery, plants, and some insect mating rituals gave me more than I was looking for, but the rest of the plot/dialog parts made the rest totally worthwhile. Take for instance, one of Gerry's tutors: Kralefsky. "Apart from his mother and his birds I had discovered that Kralefsky had one great interest in life, and that was an entirely imaginary world he had evoked in his mind, a world in which rich and strange adventures were always happening, adventures in which there were only two major characters: himself (as hero) and a member of the opposite sex who was generally known as a Lady." Ah, and the stories that follow are fantastic. Anyway, a recommend.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Family and Other Animals.