Robin's Reviews > Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer

Farm City by Novella Carpenter

Mar 31, 11

Read in March, 2011

What a wonderful, light, often funny read! It has inspired me to plant a bigger and better garden this year, learn more about community gardens in our area and to help support school gardens. I very much enjoyed the book and the author's sense of humor. I have many favorite quotes, but here are just a few. I read off my Sony Reader; hope page numbers correlate.

"That I could borrow a firearm like a cup of sugar sure felt neighborly." P. 81

"Even in this ghetto squat lot, I was cultivating human history. Watermelons from Africa. Squash from the Americas. Potatoes with a history in Peru. Radishes native to Asia but domesticated in Egypt. All now growing here in Oakland. Standing near the fence, I realized that not only did I make the garden;it made me." p. 87

"I anointed his whole body with olive oil and salt. Once I placed the turkey in the oven, a wake became a dinner party." p.100

"The production of food is a beautiful process. Germination, growth, tending, the harvest-every step a miracle, a dialogue with life." p. 192

"This is what is meant by 'sacrifice' literally, the making sacred of an animal consumed for dinner." p. 251

"The past was feeding me today and I was grateful. "

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farm City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rekesha I enjoyed reading your favorite quotes from Farm City. These were some of my favorite quotes as well.

Robin Thanks Rekesha!