Linda's Reviews > The Winter Pony

The Winter Pony by Iain Lawrence

Jan 16, 12

bookshelves: horses
Read from January 14 to 16, 2012

One of the saddest and most beautiful books about horses that I've read. Intrigued by the lovely cover, as well as the interesting subject matter - two teams racing to be the first to reach the South Pole a century ago, I couldn't help but shake my head in disgust at the men who thought horses would do well in such an environment.

Told from the point of view of a Mongolian pony with the unlikely name of James Pigg, this is a mostly accurate account of what actually happened on this doomed trip. The author's notes at the end expand on his research, and how deeply touched he was by the fate of these ponies, who stuggled against brutal and harrowing conditions to do the best they could for their handlers.

The gentleness of the men involved, and their tender care of the ponies on the horrifying journey makes the story almost palatable. Also a gripping and exciting adventure story, with killer whales breaking through ice and crevasses opening up to swallow men and dogs and ponies, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and turning the pages.

If you are a horse lover, be forewarned there are some difficult scenes to read. In the end, though, I was deeply moved by the author's words and the fact that he chose to tell this story from the viewpoint of a small white pony named James Pigg, who you cannot help but love and admire, right till the very end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Pony.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Hilary I haven't heard of this story before. Looks good. I've added it to my "to read" list based on your five star review.