Savannah's Reviews > Blackout

Blackout by Connie Willis

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: alternate-history, fiction, history, librarybook, scifi, timetravel, war, series
Read from March 28 to 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Despite some significant flaws, this is a pretty enjoyable read.

The start is unforgivably slow. Yes, we get that there's chaos going on. We didn't need to have the first quarter of the book harp on this without any plot movement: we would have gotten that in one well-developed chapter. Also, that horrific vomiting of exposition to introduce the notion that time travel has bugs? Nope, didn't need that either. Really, author, couldn't you have taken the time to convey that notion more appropriately to an academic setting?

But once the characters get over tediously exclaiming over the scheduling chaos and the necessary ground rules have been exposited, what remains is some nicely-fleshed out and at times hilarious excursions into WWII Britain. Unlike the previous dithering, I find the characters' inability to figure out what's going on and reliance upon coming up with likely explanations quite realistic. I wish the characters had been quirked up a bit in voice--there's no real difference between the three protagonists other than their circumstances.

Still, those circumstances are entertaining enough to keep me turning pages. As I finished the last page in this one, I immediately opened the first page of the next and read on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackout.