Punk's Reviews > Pretty Dead

Pretty Dead by Francesca Lia Block

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: vampires, ebook, queer
Read on March 31, 2011

YA Vampire Fiction. Eternally youthful beauty Charlotte lives in Los Angeles, wears designer clothes, and has vague feelings about being a vampire or maybe about not wanting to be a vampire. Something, it's all very vague and did I mention beautiful? Because she is SO beautiful, you guys! She's so beautiful even she knows she's beautiful. I think the first five pages of this book are all about how beautiful she is.

Block does some non-traditional things with her vampire lore, and she includes both sex and swearing, which were the highlight of this YA novel for me, but otherwise this is your basic Teenage Vampire Novel and can be easily skipped.

Ebook review: I don't know how this looked on paper, but on screen the formatting was way wonky: wildly shifting margins with the type changing size from page to page. There were also several typos, and twice we were in Manbattan. How embarrassing. HarperCollins, headquartered in Manhattan, can't apparently afford spellcheck.

Two stars. Unique for its cursing, sex, and lesbian subtext, but vague and predictable in every other way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Dead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell ....I totally want to read vampire fic set in Manbattan now.

Punk Moira wrote: "....I totally want to read vampire fic set in Manbattan now."

It sounds so dark and moody! And possibly full of MANBATS.

message 3: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Punk wrote: "It sounds so dark and moody! And possibly full of MANBATS."

//dies

Yes, you have to watch out for the clouds of Manbats, they prey on helpless tourists and other weak things in the dead of night.