Karen's Reviews > The Bird Sisters

Mar 31, 11

Recommended to Karen by: Beth Hoffman
Recommended for: Everyone
Read on March 31, 2011 — I own a copy

I was first introduced to The Bird Sisters (Rebecca Rasmussen), by a very talented NYT Bestselling author: Beth Hoffman. Beth set my expectations high with her comment, “the prose are some of the best I’ve ever read.”
I had been excited to read to novel for months, the anticipation built with readings from the Author and when UPS delivered the novel I opened it, intending to read ‘only a page or two’ and 100 pages later I realized I had banished the world, dinner would be sandwiches, things left undone so I could finish it undisturbed.
I want to be completely honest: I can’t relate to some of the thinking of the characters. I find them to be too quirky. Yet, that’s a testament to the beauty, grace and poetry of the novel, the dissimilar nature of the characters to anything I know didn’t dissuade me in the slightest bit.
What awaits the reader, regardless of taste and sentiment is a buffet of prose as rich and as decadent as the worlds best chocolate:
“If in marriages disagreements were like roots, their mother and father’s were like the roots of the oak tree in the backyard that had grown into the house instead of away from it, cracking the foundation and setting the floors aslant.”
“all these years she’d been walking into that barn trying to make things right and all these years that barn had neither resisted nor yielded to her.”
“you’re good at finding…words that cover up how you really feel”
I haven’t figured out how to write a review without saying ‘what happens’ So I leave that to others.
I know I’m going to regularly re-visit The Bird Sisters, my mind watering like the mouth, in anticipation of the juicy morsels I know will be served at this buffet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird Sisters.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janis I also intended to read only a page or two when I got it yesterday. I'm almost finished today. Great read.