Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews)'s Reviews > Deathless

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

Beautiful, unique, wrenching, rich.

I.. yeah. No words.

I love this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deathless.

06/15/2012 page 24
7.0% ""If the world is divided into seeing and not seeing, I shall always choose to see."

This (so far) reads very much like the dark, rich fairytales I've read before from Russia."
06/15/2012 page 173
49.0% "God, this is wonderful. The imagery, the characters, the prose, the plot.. I love it all."
06/16/2012 page 246
70.0% "This is odd, beautiful, strange and wonderful — such a unique reading experience. I want to finish it and, yet, I don't." 2 comments
06/16/2012 page 282
80.0% ""And as we watched, the Tsar of Death lifted up his eyelids like skirts and began to dance in the streets of Leningrad."

So. Sad." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nataliya This is one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Such a rich reading experience! Valente is a genius. I can't believe I haven't heard about her until this year.

I can't wait to read more Valente. I need to put "Palimpsest" on reserve in my library.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Those are my thoughts exactly, Nataliya. This author really, really impressed me with this. I want to write a review but I just can't articulate how much this book made me fell nor how much I love it. Mindless fangirling it is!

And yeah -- all her other novels have shot up my TBR pile. I have The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, The Habitation of the Blessed, and Silently and Very Fast already bought and waiting. I think one of those will be read by next weekend :D

Nataliya I only read "Deathless", "Fairyland" and "Silently and Very Fast" - but these were enough to make me Valente's fan. Ger writing style is so unique and memorable.

Mindless fangirling works for me ;) But I do hope that at some point you will write a full review - I love your reviews, and I would love to see what else you have to say about this one. No pressure though ;)

Imo :D (Omnom Books) Is it really that good? I've got a copy from the library but i'm a bit wary of starting due to my knowledge of the original legend...so creepy

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) It's very good, if you like dark and gothic fairy tales. It's not an easy read but I really loved it. It's a nice break from YA too :)

David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" ☆Jessie☆ (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "It's very good, if you like dark and gothic fairy tales. It's not an easy read but I really loved it. It's a nice break from YA too :)"

I think you summed it up perfectly right there...it's certainly not an easy read (especially Chapter 23), but it well worth suffering the most tragic moments to experience a book this powerful!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Aw, thanks! And chapter 23 is infamous. I don't anyone who has read it and not been severely emotionally affected. Valente is superb, especially there.