Chandler Baker's Reviews > The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook

The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn

Mar 31, 11

Read in January, 2011

It’s been a long time since I’d read any chick lit. In fact, I think several of my friends had recently vowed to swear off it–only I kept a copy of Bergdorf Blondes as my guilty pleasure. Anyway, when I received a copy of The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook in the mail, I decided to break my vow (So soon?) and check it out. Except this was different. This was boy chick lit, if there is such a thing. At least it was written by a boy.

The Ex-Boyfriend’s Handbook follows the story of Edward Middleton, a dowdy 30-year-old who has just been left by his girlfriend of ten years, Jane. “It’s not me–it’s you,” reads the break-up note as Jane explains to her now-ex that he has effectively ‘let himself go.’ The rest of the book has Edward narrating his journey to win Jane back. It’s a sweet book and, seriously, Edward is one of the most easy characters to root for. It has a touch of the Biggest Loser sensibility. After all, it’s always fun to watch a likable guy transform himself. Plus, it’s set in Brighton and filled with fun British speak. It had me reading in an accent the whole time.

If you’d like to give chick lit another go, I think you’ll enjoy the change in the cast of characters that the author, Matt Dunn, has to offer. And hey, it’s fun to watch a guy try to figure out what the heck women are thinking, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook.