Jennie's Reviews > Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson

Mar 31, 2011

bookshelves: wishlist
Read from March 31 to April 03, 2011

Buddha's Brain is a surprisingly quick, "easy" read, using neuroscience to explain why meditation and mindful awareness work to improve your contentment and get over bad experiences. For anyone who has ever dismissed meditation as hippie new age nonsense, or for those of us who just like to know why things work, this book presents the brain as a well-oiled machine: do this or that, and your brain is made to react in a certain way. In a way, it's inspirational; if you're having trouble "getting somewhere" with meditation or think that you'll never get over a bad experience, this text would suggest that it's a matter of persistence or a different technique.

What I particularly liked about the book is that it has suggested mental exercises (for example, when you're worked up about something, ask yourself what the worst that could happen is, how long the damage would last, how you would cope, who would help you, etc), as well as "review" at the end of each chapter that distills the contents to its essential points. They never dumb it down, but the explanations are easy enough to understand for those of us with a degree in law rather than neuroscience.

I'm planning on picking up a copy for the next time my stress gets out of control.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddha's Brain.

BLACK CAT Nice review!