Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)'s Reviews > Touch of Power

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: i-own, harlequin-sent, publisher-sent, favorites, for-review
Read in November, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Firstly, thank-you to Harlequin Teen Australia for sending and ARC of this

Touch of Power will touch the deepest part of you and draw you deep within the world and magic that lingers in its pages! It’ll leave you immersed in the world and characters long after you’ve turned the last page and you’ll be dreading the moment when you have to leave!

Just when I thought I couldn’t love Maria V. Snyder any more than I already do....she goes and writes this! Set in the tradition of her brilliant Study series, Touch of Power marks the start of the captivating new Healers Trilogy by one of the queen’s of fantasy writing! I loved it---loooooved it. Honestly I can’t say it enough. The world within this book is vivid and magical—fantastic in its adventure and action and vibrant in the rich, mythical realm so beautifully crafted by Snyder. Everything I love about Snyder’s writing comes to life once more in this book and couldn’t get enough of it! This thrilling new series will appeal to fans of Poison Study and proves once more why Maria V. Snyder is the best at what she does. The storyline will catch you from the first page and each and every individual you meet as you read the story will endear it to you even more.

In Touch of Power, Snyder introduces us to Avry, a strong willed heroine who can heal anyone with the touch of her hand, drawing their injuries and diseases into herself. Avry is one of those heroines you itch to come across in fiction. She’s outspoken, with a sharp tongue and is unequivocally brave. Despite being on the run, she knows who she is and what she stands for. You can’t help but admire her as you follow her on her thrilling adventure. Avry is a young woman with spirit and fight and you’ll root for her as she faces danger, pain, anguish and must ultimately decide who she trusts and whose side she is on.

I can never fault Snyder’s characterisation. Never! She has an incredible way of creating well-rounded, well thought out characters. The main characters, the ones you’d expect to be full of life and flair practically jump off the page, but the vast array of minor characters also shine as each and every one of them has personality and depth, even at such an early stage in the trilogy. The interactions between Avry and the men who protect and support her on her journey will leave you grinning and chuckling, as Belen, Vinn, Quainn and even Flea all prove to be worthy allies of Avry both verbally and physically. You’ll want more of them, there’s no doubt about that.

Now, I cannot talk about this book or its characters without discussing our leading man and love interest—that just wouldn’t be right of me. And.....Kerrick rocks! I admit it took an ittie bitie bit of time to endear him to me, due to a single indiscretion he makes at the very beginning of the book, but as the novel progressed and our heroes faced even more danger, I fell in love with Kerrick. He’s the kind of male lead that always steals my heart. Strong and brave with a heart somewhat pained; he didn’t let anyone in and was content giving orders and following the mission. He was guarded and didn’t care about anything but saving his prince. Stone cold and stoic, the last thing he was expecting to find was Avry, a feisty Healer who met him order for order, comment and comment. I loved watching them spar together and fight verbally. Their bickering and then slow descent into friendship and ultimately something more was a high point in the story for me. What can I say? I’m a hopeless romantic and Snyder does romance within her books so well. It’s never overbearing; rather a gentle undertone to what is an incredible tale.

Fans of fantasy and Maria V. Snyder alike will devour this book. There isn’t a single moment where this stunning tale doesn’t shine and when you eventually do finish you’ll be praying for more, even as you turn the final page......

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Power.

11/05/2011 page 138
35.0% "OMFG!!!! This is soooooo good so far! <3 Kerrick!"
11/06/2011 page 289
72.0% "Freakin' awesome! Not even finished yet and I wanna cry with the knowledge that I have to wait for the next one!!!!" 10 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ayesha It's on Netgallley ;)

She Known As Jess BlogSpot Kerrick = MINE.

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Nope, nope---like one said on your blog....I'm willing to fight for him!

She Known As Jess BlogSpot Dude, I have already tattoo'd my name on him. No fight necessary, TAGS ;)

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) Well, you won't when I have that laser removed. Already booked the appointment--you ain't gonna have tags soon!

Ebony I want

Ebony Whoops, silly me pressing send button when wasn't finished typing :) lol
I was saying:
I want to be Avry sooo badly, she is sooo great and I want that handsome Kerrick to be mine...

Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten) That's alright.
Lol. I know what you mean. I sure do wish I was Avery too. Kerrick is a babe!!