J. Aleksandr Wootton's Reviews > The Saga of the Volsungs

The Saga of the Volsungs by Anonymous

Mar 30, 2011

liked it

It's touted as being source material for Wagner's Ring cycle and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings; this is at once true, and also merely a marketing gimmick. Read it to further your understanding of Scandinavian culture, but don't expect inspiration for an epic fantasy to blaze through your brain afterward!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saga of the Volsungs.

Jane I think for an epic fantasy to "blaze through" you'd have to know both the Ring and Tolkien really really well, plus read much background material.

J. Aleksandr Wootton I expect you're right. This was one of many folklore pieces I read before beginning my own epic, and as part of a much broader survey it was very helpful.

By the by, Tolkien's own translation of part of the Volsung cycle has recently been released as its own book, The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.

Jane J.Aleksandr wrote: "I expect you're right. This was one of many folklore pieces I read before beginning my own epic, and as part of a much broader survey it was very helpful.

By the by, Tolkien's own translation of p..."

Thank you for telling me; I hadn't realized this. That would certainly be most interesting to read!