Jamie's Reviews > What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

Mar 30, 2011

bookshelves: adult, drugs-and-alcohol, dysfunctional, short-stories
Read in March, 2011

As someone who loves short stories, it seems as if it was a severe oversight never to have read Carver before. I saw Short Cuts, but when it came out. This is a perfect "humans making bad choices" book. His spare use of language makes so much of the story happen in the white space - several of them I re-read immediately upon finishing, and was already picking up more details, even in the spare language. Read it. Loved it. There are probably 3 stories in this collection that I think are sheer perfection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.

message 1: by elissa (new)

elissa Short Cuts is one of my favorite movies, but I've never read any of his writing. Which are the 3 perfect stories? Love the title of the collection!

Jamie There are 2 in the middle "Tell the Women we're going" and "After the Denim" and then the title story.

We read this for my bookclub and we ended up talking about every single story. Probably the most BOOK FOCUSED of any book club meeting in a while!