Ashleyruth23's Reviews > Tiger, Tiger

Tiger, Tiger by Margaux Fragoso

U 50x66
Mar 31, 11

Read from March 30 to 31, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I work in an independent bookstore, and when I read the pre-release reviews, I was intrigued. Someone describing their life with a pedophile seemed at once horrifying and at the same time intriguing. I knew the book would be difficult to read, but I thought I was ready for it.

I was not.

Fragoso's memoir is very explicit as almost every review states. At times I had to put the book down because it literally left me feeling sick. But I kept reading. I needed to hear her conviction of Peter. I kept reading, kept waiting for her to give this man what he deserved to put it in a very bland way. That never happened. While she did state at times that she thought of running when she saw him or that she hated him or that his old face disgusted her, she also kept reiterating her love for him.

She ends the memoir by saying that he really loved her and the others he molested. Then, in the afterword, she seems to be making up excuses for him, advocating treating pedophiles by issuing them medications to lower their testosterone levels. She seems to just be saying that he couldn't help it.

I can't judge what Fragoso went through as a child. It's unimaginable what she suffered. Even having it here in writing in front of me I still can't completely fathom what all happened to her, much less how she can excuse the man.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger, Tiger.