Cody Young's Reviews > The Marriage Bed

The Marriage Bed by Judith Arnold

Aug 21, 14

** spoiler alert ** I loved this one. I got it in a batch of three that I won in a raffle at my writers' group. This was the one I read, and re-read, and read again.
I was drawn into it by the lovely descriptions of the shy young bride (who is pregnant by some other guy) with her just-off-to-Vietnam husband.

The sex scene between Joelle and Bobby on their wedding night is adorable - the way it contrasts perfectly with the remembered awkwardness of doing it with the guy who got her pregnant, but didn't give a damn. The most memorable line in the book for me was the one about how if sex can be like this then she wants to spend the rest of her life in Bobby DiFranco's bed. But the skilful handling of the character of the 'bad guy' when he comes back and pleads with Joelle to save the life of his only child is wonderful too. It adds realism to his character and makes us have some sympathy with him, even after his total failure to give Joelle the love she deserved. Bobby is a very lovable character - captured perfectly as a long-haired dropout in the seventies, the injured veteran after Nam, and in his maturity as a devoted husband and father to somebody else's kid. Some people may find that the book jumps around between the past and present a bit. But I loved this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Bed.