Laura's Reviews > The Traitor's Wife: A Novel of the Reign of Edward II

The Traitor's Wife by Susan Higginbotham

May 06, 11

bookshelves: free, own-ebook, for-reading-challenges, historical, reviewed, location-uk, location-scotland, lgbt
Read from April 28 to May 06, 2011

If I could give this book 3.5 stars I would. I enjoyed it, but there is so very much to cover. There is no denying that Eleanor le Despenser led a very interesting life and that the times she lived in were tumultuous. However, I often found myself losing interest with the vast amounts of information that had to be imparted. A chapter could cover as little as a few months or as much as a year or two. There were sections of military campaigns, recaps of meetings and summaries of various other ongoings in the country at the time and these things slowed down the narrative for me.

All in all I enjoyed it was a fun and informative read. I didn’t know about some of Edward’s supposed homosexual tendencies, or really much else about his reign. I didn’t really care greatly for the majority of characters in this gigantic cast, but certain ones I truly liked (most of them were the children of characters introduced early on). And I was split on my feelings of Eleanor. She was, as Queen Isabella put it, “a fool” for about half the book. And constantly churning out babies. Although she had her interesting moments, (view spoiler).

I didn’t love this book partly because while I enjoyed parts of it, others really failed to keep my interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Traitor's Wife.

04/29/2011
7.0% "My only complaint so far is that Isabella acts and talks like she's so much older than 12. And she figured out what's really going on with Edward and Piers just by watching them greet one another after 2 weeks apart? I'm not buying that."
05/06/2011
70.0% "I've enjoyed this book so far, but I still have a decent amount to go and I can't help but wonder, "What the hell can be left?" How interesting can the rest of Eleanor's post-Hugh life be?"
show 5 hidden updates…