Keith's Reviews > Motherless Brooklyn

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem

M_50x66
Feb 19, 08

Remember in 1999, when DVD players were just becoming affordable and snot noses in college were getting them for their dorm rooms? They invited you over to watch and the only DVD they had was The Matrix. Why? Don't know. It was just the first choice everyone made. But, it sure did look cool.

Motherless Brooklyn is the book version of that for any newbie moving into Brooklyn (or quasi-Brooklyn like myself). Either the title compelled them to buy it ("I live in Brooklyn, this MUST be for me") or their mother bought it as a Christmas gift their first holiday back. But there is it, sticking out of the newly built Ikea shelf, pleading for house-warming guests to pluck it off and think "hmm, this looks interesting".

Don't be scared. It's a great genre read and something worth picking up if you are into well-written crime novels. Sure you saw it at a loft party next to a copy of Da Vinci Code and some James Patterson drivel, but some great books get read by the masses. Or the hipster masses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Motherless Brooklyn.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elliot (new)

Elliot very nice...welcome to the fray