Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > Undead and Unemployed

Undead and Unemployed by MaryJanice Davidson

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: vampires
Read from April 14 to 15, 2011

Undead and Unemployed is the second book in the Queen Betsy series. Betsy Taylor (AKA Queen Elizabeth I, Empress of the Undead, Rightful Rule of the Vampires along with her Consort Eric) has decided that it is time to find a job. She's been a vampire now for 4 months, and is tired of having Jessica buy everything for her. She doesn't have a car payment, or a mortgage thanks to Jessica. So, she ends up becoming a shoe salesperson at the Macy's at the Mall of America, which is her perfect job since she's a shoe whore. (I must take a road trip and visit this mall before I'm unable to.)

Betsy trying to put the whole Queen of the Vampires thing behind her. She wants nothing to do with Eric Sinclair (Finkliar), or any of the vampire politics. Jessica and her mother Elise think Eric is the best thing since the invention of the tampon and perfect for Betsy.

Unlike other vampires, Betsy is able to tolerate religious objects, including holy water, and wears a cross that all vampires hate and not all vampires think she’s the one who can lead them. She also believes that vampires have a soul, which later plays into the story line.

Betsy's snarkiness comes through loud and clear throughout this book, including when "her" vampires are dying and nobody seems to know who is responsible. Betsy later finds herself with a new home with Dr. Marc and Jessica as roommates. Oh, but it gets even better. You see there's also a little ghost in her bedroom named Marie, and for much of the book, she is the only one who can see, and talk to her.

Additional characters are added to this story: Monique a vampire who has an agenda. The Blade Warriors - Father Markus, Ani, Bill, Travis and Jon who is smitten like a kitten with Betsy and Sarah who once lived in the mansion Betsy et al live in now.

I still enjoy Tina the vampire who has fast become a friend to Betsy even though she is reluctant to use her name and seems to keep things like the whole Eric and Betsy knowing each other and then becoming mates for a thousand years. Eric has become another story entirely. I know that Betsy and Eric end up together. I mean it is prophesized in the Book of the Dead and all. He just irks me at times with his possessiveness and unwilling to give her any space. He's also not cute or adorable when he gets this way. Then again, Betsy's libido doesn't stand a chance around him so if I'm going to continue this series; I need to open my cold dark heart to Eric.

Undead and Unappreciated is the next book in this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead and Unemployed.

04/14/2011 page 139
51.0% "I still don't like Finkclair, but this is a really funny book so far."
04/15/2011 page 229
84.0% "Alright then. I'm putting Betsy on my snarkest and silliest characters ever list. She is anything but a vampires vampire, that's for sure."
show 1 hidden update…