Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Apr 26, 2011

bookshelves: galleygrab, from-publisher, for-review, book-boyfriends, my-books, favourites, signed-copy, young-adult
Read from March 30 to 31, 2011 — I own a copy

Initial Reactions:
Quite possibly a 4.5, not sure... I think this was even better than Shade in a lot of ways. Lots of actions and finding out some answers to questions (of course also leaving more questions). Plus there's always Zachary. That could be my review for this book: "Zachary. Enough said." Love him. <3

Review for 'Shade' & 'Shift' (no spoilers!):
The thing I love most about these books is how they provide a completely fresh take on ghosts and their part in our world. The idea of a Shift happening where everyone born after a certain time can see ghosts and communicate with them is totally different from anything I’ve ever read. The fact that this was such an original idea drew me into the story of ‘Shade’. I also love the characters. Aura is a likeable character, and because you can really feel her emotions coming through the story it makes her relatable. It’s so much easier to understand a character’s decisions when you also understand their motivations, and I think that is the case here.

This trilogy provides readers with an interesting love story as well. There is a love triangle between Aura, her ghost boyfriend Logan, and the new student Zachary (who just happens to be lovely and Scottish). In a way I feel like the love triangle aspect is a bit of a cop out, because it’s hard to root for a girl to be with the ghost of her dead boyfriend. However, there are truthful emotions behind Aura’s affection for both boys, and her reluctance to leave Logan behind, despite his death, is understandable. If you liked the love triangle aspect in ‘Shade’ you won’t be disappointed with ‘Shift’, as it kicks into high gear in this book.

These books are lot more than just a love story, however. ‘Shade’ introduces readers to an interesting mythology involving ghosts and their presence in our world. ‘Shift’ is the perfect continuation, a book that is possibly even more interesting and entertaining than its predecessor because of its heavy focus on questioning the mythology of the Shift. It provides answers about Aura’s background, while also posing more questions.

What else can I say? These are seriously entertaining books. They are fast paced with tons of action scenes, yet they also rest upon an interesting mythology, and, of course, they feature the ever sexy accented Zachary (and also, Logan, if you’re into spotlight hogging ghosts). If you're looking for a unique and fresh paranormal trilogy I would highly recommend these. With 'Shade' and 'Shift' Jeri Smith-Ready has written two very intriguing and intricately detailed books, and I cannot wait for the third book to come out next year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

Quotes Ashley Liked

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I can't forget you, any more than I can forget my own name." He kissed me then, and the world which no longer mattered, completely fell away.”
Jeri Smith-Ready, Shift