Erin's Reviews > The Angel Experiment

The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

Apr 15, 11

bookshelves: library-borrows, fantasy, young-adult
Read from April 13 to 14, 2011

I so wanted to like this book. The concept was so intriguing and the initial set up was definitely promising...but the plot became completely disjointed and contrived about 50 pages in. You get the feeling from the title and the intro that the main conflict arc here is going to be in the flock retrieving their kidnapped family member...but that's pretty much resolved within the first third of the book, so the remainder is completely directionless. Yeah, there's an artificial direction provided for the second half of the book(They just have to find out where they come from! Right now! Despite the fact that they apparently had paperwork on themselves in their hideout for the last four years and none of them had the least interest in looking into that further before now.), but it didn't really fit with what was going on in the first half.

And everything just felt rushed and pieced together. The main evil loses it's threat super early on when the heroes get away so quickly in the first interaction. Tons of time is spent being introduced to characters who make no reappearance and have apparently no contribution to the rest of the book. Characters pick up important details about their opponents off-screen even though we've seemingly been with them the whole time. The characters inexplicably stop for random tourist excursions/new experiences while they're running for their lives from beasts that want to kill them. I was totally lost by the end of the book because nothing really made any sense. The whole thing was one big WTF.

Overall, the book felt like two completely distinct plot lines inexpertly sewn together, which left no time/space to fully get into either. It would have been exponentially better had Patterson put each of these plots into their own book and fleshed each one out more completely.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel Experiment.

04/13/2011 page 94
22.0% "The tiny chapters are kind of frustrating."

message 1: by Tbug11 (new)

Tbug11 I know exactly what you mean. I am a Patterson fan generally but did not read any of the other Maximum ride books in the series.