Natalie's Reviews > Outlaw

Outlaw by Angus Donald

Jul 24, 11

Recommended for: Dave Duncan fans, Robin Hood fans, military strategy historical fiction fans
Read from July 21 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Nearly a four, really!

Good enough that I'm going to read Holy Warrior, the next one in the series, as an e-book - just so I don't have to wait a whole day or two to follow Robin Hood and Alan-A-Dale on the crusades.

Why is it nearly a four? . . . people defecate. They urinate. They get sick. These three are a must for me in historical fiction -there's a reason "Where do you go to the bathroom?" is the question astronauts get the most. If you want to see the astronauts' solution watch this national geographic space potty training device video.

If you want to step back into the England of the 12/13th centuries, then there's no better narrator for the journey than Alan-A-Dale.

Why isn't it quite a four? . . . it's about an exciting time and exciting things happen but somehow it isn't a big time page-turner, it's a more casual read than that. What makes me want to keep reading anyway? The narrative voice of the character, Alan-A-Dale is quite natural and comfortable to listen to.

If you've read this far in my review, I have an Alan-A-Dale tidbit for you.

Sort of in-between songs during Live at the Riverboat -1969 on a track recorded as Important Song/D-Minor/Allen-A-Dale Neil says Allen-A-Dale is a better guitarist than Eric Clapton.

Here's Neil talking to the crowd about Allen-A-Dale:

Neil Young: (sincerely, almost questioning the audience)
"I learned this song from Allen-A-Dale."

Crowd giggles.

Neil Young: "Alright?"

Neil Young: (as an aside)
". . . . and, ah, what an awful thing to do right on stage"

Neil Young: (more emphatically)

"Anyway, You know who Allen-A-Dale is, don't you?"
"Doesn't anybody know about him?"
"You know who Allen-A-Dale IS ?"
"You don't?"
"Somebody doesn't ?"

"He's a guitar player from England. And he ah, He lived a long time ago. He's probably one of the greatest musicians ever to come out of England."

"Although he'd never gone anywhere because they didn't have planes or anything back then. He had to hang around a forest. "

plays a beautiful little riff

"Well, I don't know, I was going to talk about him, but you don't sound too interested. I have a whole long thing about him. . . "

plays a more beautiful music.

"No. I made a study of him actually."

Continues to play, louder.

"He's better than Clapton. "

plays stronger still.

Neil Young: (says) something unintelligible.

continues playing strongly.

"Well anyway . . . ."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outlaw.

07/21/2011 page 156
41.0% "When peasants are raped in this story they are bloody and dead afterward. It seems to happen every 10-15 pages or so. The story definitely emphasizes the powerlessness of the poor."
07/23/2011 page 204
53.0% "This is not J C Holt's Robin Hood. The narrative voice of Alan-a-Dale is a good one though."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bennet (new)

Bennet Love your obscure bits. Too funny.

Natalie Neil songs sometimes require re-tuning so there's time in between some of them for interesting asides;)

I think I remember Cinnamon Girl is a good request song because it gives the guitarist time to yack at the audience a bit.

Bennet wrote: "Love your obscure bits. Too funny."

Natalie My copy just went up on swap, get it while it's hot!