Grace's Reviews > Wither

Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Apr 01, 11

Read from March 30 to April 01, 2011

They say don't judge a book by it's cover, but I saw the cover before I knew what the book was about and knew I wanted to read it. And it's a damn good thing too because I absolutely LOVED this book. I read it in one day because I could not put it down. I even had it open on my desk during class and was reading it while pretending to write notes. It's one of those books that you can not put down. There is a certain gross factor, as the man in the story marries and impregnates a 13 year old girl, but it was written so tastefully that you feel more sorry for the girl than you do grossed out. I automatically felt a closeness to Jenna and Rhine, and felt a part of their "sister wife" little circle. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of Cecily and her willingness to be married and have a baby, I felt so bad for her. She is still such a little kid in so many ways despite that she wants to be married and be a mother. Even an insignificant character Rowan, caught my affections and I can't wait until future books in the series when I can finally meet him for real. I have a love/hate relationship with Linden. From the start I viewed him as a semi-decent man, because of his love for Rose his first wife, and then his kindness towards Rhine and his obvious affection for her. I felt a sort of jealousy when it became clear he was sleeping with Jenna and Cecily. At first I didn't believe he was actually sleeping with Cecily, I thought it was Vaughn and he somehow made her believe it was Linden, but that wasn't the case. I would most definitely recommend this book, however, to a bit of an older audience as there is quite a bit of sex and intimacy. 14+ seems appropriate. MUST READ!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wither.