Sean's Reviews > I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

Feb 21, 08

bookshelves: socio-cultural
Recommended for: troglodytes with impaired imagination
Read in February, 2008

"My name is Tucker Max and I'm an asshole.." Mate, your name is "Tucker" and you attended law school, so the second half of that sentence seems redundant to me.

The humor here seems to be the continuation of a long line of misogynist, sometimes crypto-racist, mostly Caucasian males: Andrew 'Dice' Clay, Howard Stern, Morton Downey Jr., "Animal House" (while funny, did spotlight frat-boy antics), Frank Zappa's more misogynist moments (think "Dinah-Moe-Hum" and "Jewish Princess") and on and on. In the 90s, Max's type were labelled "mooks"--beer guzzling, baseball cap-wearing, aggressive & obnoxious. He seems to be a curious mutation, though--the upper-class mook..he's still a knuckle-dragger, but he's read a few books, instead of treating them like Kryptonite.

He "disregards social norms"...by drinking alcohol, a legal drug--usually in bars or restaurants, where it's legally acceptable to do so. Get this, he copulates....with WOMEN, no less. This critter is off the f**kin' CHAIN! He's had sex with multiple partners..oh man, where *will* his rebellion stop?! When he drinks too much alcohol, he vomits--that's just insane! He has a crowd of sycophantic gits with names like BrownHole, Mudskipper and LungFish (O.K., I made up the last two - but you get the idea), who follow him around, laugh at his lame jokes and attempt to bask in the glory of "the Tucker".

Seriously, I just didn't find any of it that funny--I know people keep going on about how hilarious this bloke is, but maybe I just don't "get" frat-boy humor. I mean, the type of wit we're dealing with here is stuff like: "I was about to have buttsex, known in the biz as 'anal'..." Oh really? I thought it was called "tromboning"--thanks for clearing that up for me. He makes fun of an Asian girl's speech and actually types "Rike" for "like". He insults a pot-smoker by telling them they "smell like patchouli and bong-water"--my sides are splitting. I can get low-brow as much as the next guy or gal, as long as it delivers the funny--Max doesn't deliver at all, he doesn't even get close. Also, he likes to refer to himself in the third person quite a bit, which does my head in, especially when bad writers do it.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time and effort on reviewing this mediocrity. Since I don't believe in "Hell"--'The Tucker's penance can be to plant trees to replace every scrap of paper used to print his "book", while being fellated by an ill-tempered badger.

1/2 a star and a "W" rating (for Wwwwwwwwwwanker)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (last edited Jun 28, 2008 01:47AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Yes and... yes.

Your review made mine look like the scribblings of a toddler on a Burger King placemat.

message 2: by Sean (last edited Jun 27, 2008 09:13AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Cheers, Ben - I guess I felt inspired the day I was writing it.

message 3: by Claudia (new)

Claudia All I can say is thank you, and you're a genius.

message 4: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean You're welcome, Claudia--thank you for the kind words and for reading my review.

Joshua Just reading your review is making laugh all over again!!! It may be low-brow, but it is funny!

Captscurvy I guess I don't need to write a review. You have said everything I was thinking after finishing this book. I am quite surprised I was able to finish it. It stopped being funny after the cover.

message 7: by Marino (new)

Marino haha, I read Tuckers book and quite liked it. But your review is really funny, you should write a book to rival Tuckers.

Tasha You nailed it! Thank you!

message 9: by Angie (last edited Dec 30, 2011 08:13PM) (new)

Angie I am surprised you read the entire book.

message 10: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz Haha! You deserve an award.

message 11: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Hi Angie - I know. For added punishment, I read some of the stories on his blog, too. Dearie me.

Silke: Heh heh - thanks, either that or therapy. :)

message 12: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Alven This book was awesome...all u guys must have been losers in high school And college and had no fun...cause did stuff like this all the time..

message 13: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean 'Course you did, sunshine, 'course you did. I know, if only I'd worked on my rapey, sex-pest skillz, I woulda had so much more "fun". If being a 'loser' means not ending up on a sex-offender list, well I guess I'm a loser. I can live with that.

message 14: by St (new) - rated it 1 star

St great review. i love how the only negative comment towards your opinion was one that was horribly butchered and embarrassing on behalf of the poster. just another great reminder why i wouldn't associate myself with anyone (& yes this is extreme) that would cradle this book in an adoringly, inspirational manner. cheers!

message 15: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Thanks Katja! Yeah, I know - it seems a lot a semi-literate types love "The Tucker". Guess there's a lot of inferiority complexes going around. I read an article the other day about the guy who started the 'Girls Gone Wild' franchise. He's another creep.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I think your review is freaking hilarious. That being said, that fact that you hated this book probably means I would agree! I thought this would be a quick fun read, but it sounds like it would just annoy me. Thanks so much for the great review!! I definitely won't waste my time on this book!

message 17: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Hi Suzanne - thanks for your compliment. By all means, check it out, I don't want to ultimately put anyone off. I reckon 'The Tucker' does that mostly all by himself. ;-)

Marie-pier Just finished the audiobook of this piece of crap today while commuting to work, and believe me, if there is something worst than reading this mook, is hearing him mumble it, and yes, he sounds like a frat-boy living on daddy's trust fund.

message 19: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star

Sean Ha! Cheers Marie!

message 20: by Jeanae (new) - added it

Jeanae Tyra I wish I read this before I read that book it would've saved me a lot of time. For a grown man his humor is below the immaturity level and I'm 16. What does that tell you? He must've been smashed of his bum to write this. I mean horribly smashed, almost alcohol blindness level.

message 21: by Davidl (new)

Davidl This book is not only pure genius it is everything I love about being a guy.

message 22: by Sean (new) - rated it 1 star