Ladiibbug's Reviews > The Firemaker

The Firemaker by Peter  May

Mar 30, 2011

Recommended for: Police Procedural Fans
Read in March, 2011

#1 China Thriller police procedural series - Li Yan, a Chinese detective, and Margaret Campbell, an American pathologist, in Beijing, China

Orig. published in 1999, first U.S. edition 2005, re-released by Poison Pen Press in 2007

This captivating series begins when Margaret Campbell, an American pathologist, travels to Beijing, China to teach for six weeks at a Beijing police university. Newly promoted to a high profile position, Li Yan, a Chinese police senior detective, calls on Margaret's expertise in solving a case. "Three corpses, two investigators, one burning truth".

So as not to spoil, I'll just say that besides the murder mystery is a fascinating subplot about genetically modified foods.

The three murders are seemingly connected, but with little evidence, a baffling lack of a motive.

I highly enjoyed the "trip" to Beijing. The author's details and descriptive writing really put me on the streets of Beijing. The details of required etiquette, customs, the details of daily life of the Chinese of various income groups -- fascinating! An interesting look at the after-effects of the Cultural Revolution on the daily lives of the Chinese people as well.

I'll definitely be seeking out more of Peter May's books. I recently read #1 in his Enzo Files (mystery) series, Extraordinary People, and it was terrific as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firemaker.