Kris Hintz's Reviews > The College Solution: A Guide for Everyone Looking for the Right School at the Right Price

The College Solution by Lynn O'Shaughnessy

5200381
Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: college, education, nonfiction, parent-teen
Read in February, 2009

As a college admissions consultant, I help my clients focus on the key question: "What unique strengths do you have to offer that this college needs?"

Lynn O'Shaughnessy has taken this question to a new level. Her book adds the financial element to that equation. A student's ability to fill a college's gaps and meet its specific institutional needs, not only drives acceptance, but influences a college's financial generosity as well, when it comes to merit scholarships. This is a simple, intuitive concept that not many families recognize.

As families push their high schoolers to "stretch" themselves to apply to prestigious "reach" colleges, they are overlooking great educational opportunities. If you get into Ivy U by the skin of your teeth, and you feel like they are "doing you a favor" by letting you squeak in, you are unlikely to get any financial incentives for going there. But if you are bringing something special to Under Ivy U, and they really want you for the distinctive contributions you can make (i.e., freshman stats, sports, arts, academic potential), they might feel a little more like you are doing them a favor, and they'll be willing to offer you a financial incentive to do so.

Simple, isn't it? Thank you, Ms. O'Shaughnessy, for pointing out such a clear and brilliant principle. I suggest your book to all my students, and will continue to do so!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The College Solution.