Sarah Lu's Reviews > Memory and Dream

Memory and Dream by Charles de Lint

Feb 27, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, own, charles-de-lint, newford, favorites
Read from January 05 to February 27, 2013

I really loved this book. The story was well-written and during the climax of the story I was on the edge of my seat, needing to know what was going to happen next.

De Lint's characters feel natural, like they could jump off the page and be someone that you yourself went to college with or met at the library, so on and so forth. They have flaws, they have regrets, that is one of the reasons I love his characters.

There is a lot of talk about art and writing in this book, which is needed as we go into the main character, Isabelle, apprenticing under Rushkin, a well-known painter in Newford. If the thought of hearing people talk about art and what it means bores you, this might not be the greatest book for you. I think you can still enjoy it, but possibly not as much as I did. I loved this book for that fact, and it really got me into gear to start working on my own art again, but again, everyone is different, and there are times that some of the things argued in this book or some of the ways that de Lint refers to art makes it feel like it is being put on a pedestal. And yet, not, at other times. It all depends on which character is speaking.

The last ten pages of the book had me in tears. Good tears, happy tears, but tears all the same. Seeing the characters through their journeys, and seeing where they all ended up, I felt really happy/sad for them. I was that invested.

Definitely a must-read for a fan of Charles de Lint. If you are a fantasy fan who enjoys art, I think you can enjoy this as well. If you aren't so much a fan of art, but still into fantasy, at least give it a try. It isn't all art, just be aware that there are going to be some conversations about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memory and Dream.

01/08/2013 page 52
02/09/2013 page 240
60.0% "The book seems to be getting to the climax, and beginning to wind down, but I just hit the halfway mark. How long is this going to take?"
show 11 hidden updates…