willaful's Reviews > Storming the Castle with Bonus Content

Storming the Castle with Bonus Content by Eloisa James

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: story-novella-or-anthology, got-up-my-nose, sexy-beta
Read from March 29 to 31, 2011, read count: 1

Phillipa has a problem: she’s slept with her betrothed and knows that she never, ever wants to do it again. But he’s a future baronet and the pressure to marry him is intense. When she hears that the princess of a neighboring castle needs a nursemaid, it's the escape route she needs.

At the castle, Phillipa meets Berwick, the devilishly handsome and rather surprising majordomo of the castle. “He has lovely eyes, rather brooding, as if life wasn’t giving him what he wanted. That had to be because he was a butler. He didn’t seem like a butler.”

Wick, illegitimate half-brother of Prince Gabriel from A Kiss at Midnight , has a problem. He’s (voluntarily) a servant, which means ladies are off-limits to him, but he’s too educated to marry another servant. And since his brother’s marriage, he’s been feeling increasingly lonely.

Wick recognizes that has has “a cuckoo in his kitchen”... Miss Damson has a lady’s voice, not a nursemaid’s voice. And “... as he followed Miss Damson’s admittedly delicious figure from the kitchen, he thought, for the first time in his life, that perhaps he could marry a servant after all. If the servant was a lady.” Trouble is, Phillipa really is a lady, and he can’t condemn her to a servant’s life.

This short novella started out well but ended up not thrilling me; I liked the characters, but not the way it played out. There was an unpleasant snobbish element that rubbed me the wrong way. Phillipa’s fiance Rodney seems to get rather a raw deal, and apparently mainly because she’s decided he’s too fat-assed to marry. (Why she didn’t notice this before she decided to sleep with him, I couldn’t tell you.) And the conflict is firstly exaggerated and then done away with too easily. Wick was a sweet character and deserved a better story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storming the Castle with Bonus Content.

dateDown_arrow    newest »