Ruth Hill's Reviews > How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in Relationships

How to Talk to Anyone by Leil Lowndes

Mar 30, 2011

Read from March 30 to April 19, 2011

Indeed this book was definitively different than the majority of books I read, and I have to say I am rather glad I was willing to step outside my comfort zone. Leil Lowndes is a very practical author who gives you all sorts of tricks to help you succeed in the most basic of human interactions--communication. While I cannot say I could aptly apply all 92 techniques, I must say her ideas gave me a lot to ponder.

First of all, I am no a business professional. I have no desire to penetrate the corporate world, and sometimes I think the techniques are geared definitely towards those in that world. However, I have to say that the techniques detailed in this book do go beyond that. As a teacher, I would not be able to use every one of these techniques in the classroom. (I think she write one for teachers! I would definitely read it!) I was quite glad to realize that some of the techniques I already do use. And that is why I think the students with whom I come in contact like me so well--for the most part.

Secondly, I would say my favorite part of the book was that the chapters were so short! I like to read an entire chapter before I stop reading, and it was nice to know that if I had two or three minutes to spare, I could read a chapter. I also loved the fact that she had so many real world examples.

And finally, while this book sometimes did not apply to my current situation, if nothing else, it gave me a lot to think about. I had never considered the way I might com across on the phone or how I deal with people's foibles. I had not considered every contacting a celebrity, but thanks to this book, I think I just might give it a try. I don't think I could make someone fall in love with me, but I think i could at least go out of my comfort zone in a group of people I do not know. She has indeed challenged me to put some of these techniques into practice, and I can assure you I shall!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Talk to Anyone.

message 1: by Asma (new) - added it