S.A. Hunter's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

Apr 16, 11

Read from March 30 to April 16, 2011

** spoiler alert ** The story, writing and characters were all good and fascinating, but there was so much going on! And Huff was not interested in slowing down to explain anything. There were some fly away comments to help, but for the most part, the reader is on their own in this rich magical world.

There was one aspect of the story which I was a little uncomfortable with, and I don't know if I'm just more prudish than others, but it caused me to have trouble falling firmly on the side of the Gales, which may have been Huff's intent, but would've liked some discussion or something about it. I don't know if it's spoilery to say this (it appears in first few pages), but they liked to keep things in the family. They tried to make sure the family wasn't too close, but still it was kind of unnerving how matter of fact they were about it, and we know from history it's not good to do that sort of thing.

That aside, the writing is sharp. A lot of funny dialogue is sprinkled throughout and interesting characters are everywhere (probably too many). But because of my before mentioned hangup, I don't think I'd read a sequel if Huff wrote one. I do have hazy plans to reread her Blood series. I never finished it and would like to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.