Nan's Reviews > Explosion in Paris

Explosion in Paris by Linda Masemore Pirrung

Sep 04, 11

C'EST MAGNIFIQUE! A TREAT FOR THE HEART AND MIND!

I can't believe that none of these wonderful reviews touched on my very favorite part of the book, Angie's new life in her adopted country, Provence, France, adjusting to a new culture, creating a new identity, restarting her career, meeting new friends, and so on. Haven't you ever daydreamed about life as you wished it to be? That's what this book is, a thoroughly enjoyable retreat from our daily troubles. I LOOOVE this book! This novel will make you want to pack up and hop a plane to the south of France. What a charming, enchanting picture the author paints portraying the wonderful people of Provence with humor and great appreciation and of the much celebrated Paris, so wonderfully, perfectly picturesque. I love these kinds of books! Angela Briann Scott is a heroine to all who read this book, I am sure, who secretly harbor the desire to do as she did and throw her all into making a fantastic life for herself in an unfamiliar and exotic new land. Whether it is Provence or somewhere else, such abandon is attractive and begs to be followed. In her case she had no choice, really; her life was thrown off balance; she needed to save her life, protect herself, and those she loved. Mitch wanted her dead and she knew he would stop at nothing to achieve his goal. I asked myself, what would I have done? What makes this novel so wonderful is the author's brilliant observations on human nature and her masterful use of language which makes it such an illuminating read. It was fascinating to read how Angie's thought processes and ideas slowly changed to reflect that of the French. The author manages to capture the importance of PLACE, in our lives, what makes "home", and the countless ways that a place, as much as a person, can somehow comfort and thoroughly reinvigorate us. This is loaded with mystery and revelation, just like life, only infinitely more entertaining. There is a lot of book packed into this single novel. She does not skimp on detail, but does not elaborate so much that it becomes tedious. The book oozes with deep love for the people, their culture and the sumptuous land that surrounds them. The love story is loving and sweet and real and Pirrung didn't resort to the unfortunate romance convention of describing the physical love-making in graphic detail, making this suitable for young adult reading. It was a pleasure, not to mention, an eye-opener to read. EVERY woman and man will find something to appreciate amid the vast array of delights found in this book. A desire to follow Angie's lead and escape her prison and move to an 18th century farm house in Provence and do major renovations remains undiminished. This enchanting insight into French culture is above all a comfortably-paced, intensely-felt reflection on appreciating the best that every day has to offer, something that the French do extraordinarily well. Savor a good meal; take plenty of time to appreciate all the hours it took to be prepared, and they DO spend a massive amount of time making meals. Some dishes take three days to prepare! Unbelievable! No one in America takes time to cook anymore. Life is too fast, too full, too busy! We could learn a lot! I soaked up every word.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explosion in Paris.

Quotes Nan Liked

“We need to forgive ourselves and everyone else for NOT being perfect.”
Linda Masemore Pirrung, Explosion in Paris

“We are all searching for the fairy tale. When it doesn't come, we try to create it.”
Linda Masemore Pirrung, Explosion in Paris