Mallie's Reviews > Gift from the Sea

Mar 30, 2011

it was ok
Recommended for: Women
Read on March 28, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I am glad I read this book but there was still a lot of it that I felt I could not relate to. My favorite part was the lilting language, reminiscent of the waves lapping on the shore.

Favorite quotations:

On solitude:
"The world today does not understand, in either man or woman, the need to be alone.
How inexplicable it seems. Anything else will be accepted as a better excuse. If one sets aside time for a business appointment, a trip to the hairdresser, a social engagement or a shopping expedition, that time is accepted as inviolable. But if one says: I cannot come because that is my hour to be alone, one is considered rude, egotistical or strange. What a commentary on our civilization, when being alone is considered suspect; when one has to apologize for it, make excuses, hide the fact that one practices it--like a secret vice!
Actually these are among the most important times in one's life--when one is alone. Certain springs are tapped only when we are alone. The artist knows he must be alone to create; the writer, to work out his thoughts; the musician, to compose; the saint, to pray. But women need solitude in order to find again the true essence of themselves: that firm strand which will be the indispensable center of a whole web of human relationships. She must find that inner stillness which Charles Morgan describes as 'the stilling of the soul within the activities of the mind and body so that it might be still as the axis of a revolving wheel is still.'"

On writing (which I think is clearly a source of Flow for Anne Morrow Lindbergh):
"What release to write so that one forgets oneself, forgets one's companion, forgets where one is or what one is going to do next--to be drenched in work as one is drenched in sleep or in teh sea. Pencils and pads and curling blue sheets alive with letters heap up on the desk. And then, pricked by hunger we rise at last in a daze, for a late lunch. Reeling a little from our intense absorption, we come back with relief to the small chores of getting lunch, as if they were lifelines to reality--as if we had indeed almost drowned in the sea of intellectual work and welcomed the firm ground of physical action under our feet."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gift from the Sea.

06/01/2016 marked as: read