Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Never Eighteen

Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

Aug 17, 11

bookshelves: arc, net-galley, cant-put-these-down, favourites
Read in August, 2011

Well, I made it - with three hours left to spare. I'm going to clean up my mascara-streaked cheeks and get my shit together. Perhaps when I'm a bit more sane, I'll write a coherent review.

FULL REVIEW:

Picture this:

It’s 8:38 in the morning.

I’m in the office.

Adobe Digital Editions is open.

My fingers are lightning fast as I minimize the screen each time I hear footsteps approaching my door.

Heart is beating, throat closing up.

Boss walks in and says, "I’m going to be away for most of the morning. Call my cell phone if you need anything."

I nod and proceed to be un-productive.

Three hours later.

I look liked Tamara Faye LaValley Bakker Messner. You know, that woman evangelist whose lashes were heavy and thick with goops of mascara? I kid you not. I usually have a box of tissues within my reach, but had inconveniently run out yesterday. I had tears – big drops, the kind that made me think it wasn’t going to stop flowing and sticky goo running from my nose.

All because of a book.

Laugh at me. Harangue me.

I’m kind of a sporadically emotional reader. Unpredictable.
If you were in my shoes yesterday, you would cry alligator tears too.
The book started out calmly enough. I was introduced to Austin Parker; a normal seventeen year old boy who was looking forward to the weekend that was upon him. But this particular weekend is far from normal. This weekend is going to be epic. He’d planned to face his fears, single-handedly try to change the lives of those he knew and perhaps grow a pair so he can finally tell the girl of his dreams how long he’d been in love with her.

Don’t start rolling your eyes yet.

This is the kind of book where you have to savour each word in order to feel all the courageous resolve in Austin, all the love he felt for everyone and the blinding hope that shines through him.
He made it so easy for me to love him as a character. Aside from a few tirades spoken out of drunkenness, he never did feel sorry for himself. How could you pity a boy this strong? So steadfast in how he wanted to exit this world.

The title alone is a spoiler of some sort so I’m not going to pretend that this book had a happy ending - however hard I wish it did. I typically stay away from books with imminent heartbreak splashed across the synopsis but I’ve looked forward to reading Never Eighteen for so long that it seemed like a sacrilege not to - no matter how tempting it was to let it expire from my galley.

This was such a beautiful and moving story with equally beautiful writing. There are books out there where I needed to step back from just because it was too emotional. I found myself doing that several times with this book. I had difficulty breathing by the time I got to the epilogue and seriously needed to go for a drive afterwards. Dramatic much? Maybe. Read this book and then we’ll talk.

I just wish the story went on…and on…and on... I’d love to know if everyone moved on from their lives according to Austin’s wishes. I’d love to know what really happened to Scott. I’m dying to know if Allie got help or if Trevor was finally free to love. Most of all, I’d love to know if Kaylee recovered from the grief of losing Austin.

I can’t believe this is Megan Bostic’s debut novel. With real characters and the flair for describing Washington’s picturesque nature, I am more convinced that there are writers and then there are WRITERS. In my books, Megan Bostic belongs in the latter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eighteen.

08/16/2011 page 42
21.0% "Dear book, you're going to make me cry aren't you? love, me." 1 comment
08/17/2011 page 74
36.0% "This book expires in 5 HOURS. Am I going to make it?"
08/17/2011 page 102
50.0% "breathe..breathe..everything's going to be ok..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan Bostic You just brought tears to MY eyes. Paybacks. Thank you for the beautiful review.

Joy (joyous reads) Megan wrote: "You just brought tears to MY eyes. Paybacks. Thank you for the beautiful review."

No. Thank you...for writing this. :)

Rogier tnx joy/a frend gifted me a pre order

message 4: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle Thank you for this amazing review. I am going to find the book now

Stephanie I read the book Just yesterday and finished it this morning and I totally agree with you I was SOBBING in my room during the part where Kaylee was told Austin died I almost died! * no joke *

Joy (joyous reads) Thank you, Stephanie. That was when I cried ugly tears as well. Really heavy stuff.

message 7: by Lisa (new)