Dionisia's Reviews > The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold

The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold by Kate Bernheimer

Apr 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, own, north-america, goodreads-author, fairy-tales
Read from April 04 to 05, 2011 , read count: 1

Shock and excitement! I did not think I would get this goodreads giveaway as the odds were very slim. I enjoyed this reading experience but how do I even begin to describe a book like this?? There's a bit of magic, some transformations, and even talking animals; all this and more bundled in a modern setting.

There are four children in the Gold family. Merry full of anger, Ketzia full of sorrow, an unnamed and seemingly indifferent brother, and the youngest sibling Lucy. Lucy Gold is filled with bliss and happiness, but that unyielding brightness takes her to a dark place. Her tales unfold along a nonlinear narrative. The stories bounce freely between the grown-up Lucy and the events of her early life.

A dense little book! I caught myself rereading passages. There were some I loved. I could just close my eyes and steep myself in the imagery they evoked. I liked the blank spaces and how my mind filled them with my own secrets. This giveaway was a nice way to be introduced to Kate Berheimer and I'll be checking out her other work in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold.

Quotes Dionisia Liked

Kate Bernheimer
“Thankfully, the farmers understand my request that the children not be allowed to peer through the windows at me.
It would be alarming for them to see me with their dolls, to see me using the knife on their faces. There are some things children never should see.”
Kate Bernheimer, The Complete Tales of Lucy Gold

04/04/2011 page 10
8.0% ""Did you ever love something so much you just wanted to eat it?" ...I am going to devour this book."
04/05/2011 page 118
100.0% ""Go say hello to a toad. Don't kill any spider. Be strong.""