Toni's Reviews > Midnight and the Meaning of Love

Midnight and the Meaning of Love by Sister Souljah

Apr 19, 11

bookshelves: 2011, fiction
Read on March 30, 2011

*Now that I've sat with it for awhile, I'm changing my star rating...

I struggled with this book. Not in the way that it is written, that's fine. But in my reactions to the title character. In Midnight, I instantly fell in love with him. His strength, intelligence and strong loyalty to family were refreshing. There are not many Black male characters, especially one so young, represented in literature today that have such a sense of right and wrong. If you've read my post about that book, you know what problems I had with it.

Those problems seemed to have followed me to this sequel. Midnight has finally started to build a life with his new bride, Akemi, when her disappearance pulls everything out from under him. Now he has to deal with his need to protect all of the women in his life, his mother and sister, in the States with him and his wife, who is now thousands of miles away in Japan. After making sure that his mother and sister are safe, he heads off to Japan to rescue his wife.

This is a well written, engaging book that fans of the series will definitely enjoy. However, I am still annoyed by the portrayal of African-American women and the ease with which Midnight, a teenager, is able to maneuver, MacGyver-like through foreign countries. A lot of the scenarios were just not plausible to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight and the Meaning of Love.

03/30/2011 page 449

dateDown_arrow    newest »

LiteraryMarie Done already?

Toni Yep. I'm off work today and just decided to power on through.

LiteraryMarie Well, you rated it 4 stars so I'm hopeful. I'm over halfway through now.

Are you going to write a full review soon?

Toni I will for my blog, but I will schedule it to coincide with the pub date. I'm still processing what I read. My opinion right now is all over the place. Gonna marinate on it a bit. LOL

LiteraryMarie LOL I'll probably have my review posted this Sunday, or the Sunday before it releases for my meme.

I know exactly what you mean by your opinion is all over the place.

LiteraryMarie Just finished and I have questions. Actually, I could use another 50 pages. But like you, I need to marinate on this for a bit.

LiteraryMarie The last paragraph of your review is well said.

Toni Thank you. I wrote this review so quickly that I was just hoping my thoughts came out organized enough to be coherent. It turned out that marinating on it so long made me dislike it more. I just found my copy of Coldest Winter Ever and plan to re-read it soon.

LiteraryMarie It's very coherent and easy to follow. I plan to re-read CWE before the new release about Winter's sister comes out.

message 10: by Toni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Toni There's a book about Winter's sister? I had no idea. The bookstore where I work is closing soon and I guess I'm already out of the loop! LOL

LiteraryMarie Yes, is going to be the next Souljah release. Crappers! Sorry to hear your local bookstore is closing. My local library is closing.