Tien's Reviews > A Killing Frost

A Killing Frost by John Marsden

Mar 30, 2011

bookshelves: australia, australian-author, young-adult
Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

I, surprisingly, really really enjoyed my reading of this book. I remembered liking this series when I first read it in my teens. Last year, I picked up the first book, Tomorrow When The War Began, and found that it drove me crazy. I was totally irritated by Ellie, the narrator. I followed it up with the movie and amazingly found myself liking the movie more than the book(!).

For one reason or another, I skipped book 2 and went straight to this book. It wasn't too bad in terms of what I'm missing from book 2. It didn't disrupt my reading too much.

The book opens with a sort of idyllic scene where the group has just been hanging around Hell and have not been able to gear themselves up for any further action. It's time, however, to get some momentum going so they decided to check out Cobbler's Bay. And from this moment on, the suspense was neverending, the momentum just never stops. I just couldn't stop reading and then suddenly, the book ended... :(

Besides the most appreciated suspense, Ellie seemed to have changed a little or at least, she's not so annoying as before. She is still a little bit annoying but it doesn't show up as much as she's not thinking a much since this is the time for ACTION. So, in the little time she has, her thought more of how a certain person act this way? And can/will she do the same? How did/could she do it? I really liked this humanity thoughts which were triggered by certain acts of war. It makes it real for me. And when hope seems to have disappeared, the story is twisted by a click of your finger. A fantastic Sunday evening read for me!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Killing Frost.