the golden witch.'s Reviews > Glitch

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

1.5/5 stars.

I had high hopes for this one - but I'm afraid it's another case of cover seduction and blurb envy. While Anastasiu has a great hold on sensory language and imagery, that's about all that I could appreciate about this one. While I realize it may be aimed toward younger readers, this one just didn't particularly stand out against the onslaught of dystopian books that's been flooding the YA market within the past few years. Sadly, this one just wasn't for me.

So, the good part: sensory language and imagery. Anastasiu does a pretty good job with relating to the reader how very bleak and grey it is within the world of the Link/Community - and the difference when she "glitches" and sees color, feels texture, tastes things, and so forth. Parts of it felt a bit like the MC was experiencing synesthesia, which I always love seeing in books because the descriptions can be pretty epic. Whilst the descriptions here didn't reach epic proportions, they were still pretty great. And this is what saved the book from getting a negative star rating.

For the parts that just weren't for me: insta-love, yet another love triangle that felt forced, a lot of stilted dialogue, poor to non-existent worldbuilding, and a lot more telling than showing. We get a semi-decent backstory as to why the Link/Community was created, but it just wasn't detailed enough as it should have been. All of it was just startlingly lackluster next to other YA dystopians that have been released this year - many of which were absolutely fantastic.

In short, this one probably needed another few drafts before going to press to smooth out the technical issues in the dialog and worldbuilding areas, but it just wasn't for me. A huge let-down, I'm sad to say.

Final verdict? If you're already a more experienced reader in the YA dystopian genre, you might want to avoid this one. I wouldn't exactly recommend it for young readers getting started in the genre, either. But that's just how I see it. "Glitch" is out from St. Martin's Griffin on August 7th in North America, so be sure to check it out then. Give it a read and decide for yourself.

(posted to goodreads, shelfari, and birthofanewwitch.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glitch.

07/31/2012 page 49