Kiersten's Reviews > Enrique's Journey

Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario

Mar 29, 11

Read in March, 2011

I really recommend this book to everyone. I gave it kind of a low rating because I'm not a huge fan of Nazario's writing style. It was very pared-down, almost minimalistic. I'm not saying that I wanted some flowery, Victor-Hugo-describing-roof-tops-for-100-pages thing, but it was a little too spare for me. It was, however, a fascinating book and showed humans at their very best and, unfortunately, their very worst. There were parts, describing the kindness that strangers showed to this boy on his journey, that made me cry because they were so beautiful, and parts that made me cry because he (and thousands like him) had to endure so many awful, horrible things. I really think you should read it! All of you! And don't worry; I know what you're thinking, but this isn't some liberal piece of pro-amnesty propaganda. There is actually an epilogue in which Nazario discusses in great detail the very negative ramifications of illegal immigration in this country. It does not say that we should open up our borders and let people come walking in; it simply humanizes the individual people that are so often lumped into the "illegal immigrant" group without any other thought, and it gave me a lot to think about. Seriously. Go read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enrique's Journey.