Helena's Reviews > Big-Box Swindle: The True Cost of Mega-Retailers and the Fight for America's Independent Businesses

Big-Box Swindle by Stacy Mitchell

F 50x66
Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from March 29 to April 01, 2011

Full disclosure: I stopped reading halfway through. I got the point, and it was too depressing to continue reading. But it contains lots of good information, and I'd recommend checking it out if this is a topic that interests you. I haven't been able to set foot in a Wal-Mart since reading this, which has forced me to seek out (local, where possible) alternatives to the very few things I had only been able to find there.

I would be interested to see how things have changed in the years since this book was written. For example, the author mentions Blockbuster as a big-box store that put local video rental places out of business, but every Blockbuster around us has now gone out of business (not sure if the whole chain has yet or not), pushed out by Netflix and Red Box. She also mentions Costco--still a big-box store, but one that apparently has more ethics than Wal-Mart's Sam's Club. I'd be interested to know if they still offer their employees better pay and benefits than Sam's does.

Overall, I'd say it's worth the read. Even if it just makes you think about your shopping habits and about what we've allowed these huge companies to do, it's worth it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big-Box Swindle.