Heather Andersen's Reviews > Like Water for Chocolate

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Feb 18, 08

Read in February, 2008

Conceptually, I loved this book. Who can resist a story that is artfully blended with delicious recipes, and even includes the full recipe at each new chapter? I would like to give it the benefit of the doubt and suppose that I read a bad translation (the book is originally in Spanish) but no...I think it's a great concept destroyed by ugly writing.

It took two days to finish, and would have taken less but I only read it in short snatches of down time over a weekend. The language was simple, not in an enjoyable way, but in the same way the first Harry Potter book is simple - it reads like it is written for 9 year olds. Except for the sex. When the book isn't blending cooking with a Cinderella-like drama it's reducing itself to grocery store pulp. Where flowery language would have suited a particularly tender or dramatic moment, it only seems to come out to describe escalating orgasms and popping bodice buttons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Water for Chocolate.