Isolde's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

F_50x66
Mar 29, 11

Read in December, 2010

I was interested to see what happened to Gen, so I checked this book out. A couple of years had passed since the last book and Gen is about 18 or 19 (I think). The author never tells us his age. Instead there are numerous references of him being young or still a boy or having grown. Honestly, just tell me his age and be done with it. The story starts out with Gen being in Attolia, trying to steal something. Unfortunately, he is caught and as a punishment, the Queen has his hand cut off. Doesn't the author know that amputations seriously creep me out? I hate reading about things like that and thought about ditching the book. Instead, I skipped over the parts of his suffering and started up with Gen being brought back to his country of Eddis, which is situated between Sounis and Attolia. The queen of Eddis is none too happy that Attolia cut off her thief's hand and a war starts between the 2 countries. Sounis also gets into the mix and all 3 countries are fighting each other. There is more of Gen's suffering, his learning to cope with the loss of his hand, helping the Queen of Eddis with war strategy, and him stealing again. I did like that you learn more about the Queen of Eddis and Attolia-how they came to power in their respective countries and how and why Attolia became who she was. Both queens are older than Gen and again we are not told their ages. It wouldn't bug me so much if it wasn't mentioned a bunch of times. One thing I had a hard time believing was Gen's realization that he was in love with the Queen of Attolia. Seriously? She's has your hand cut off and you love her? That would pretty much be a deal breaker for me. I really did not care for this book and doubt I will read the 3rd one in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Levina  C. He was in love with her long before the chop-chop incident. He just didn't say it out loud until the end. I guess even the loss of his hand won't stop him from loving her. If your loved one hurt you, would you stop loving them?

Lois "Doesn't the author know that amputations seriously creep me out?" - lol. :)