Chris Kervina's Reviews > Invisible

2033638
Mar 29, 2011

bookshelves: ya-books, fiction
Read in March, 2011

Students have been recommending Hautman's books for years, but it wasn't until this weekend that I finally picked one up. I'm slapping myself that I didn't read his work sooner.

The story is told from the perspective of its narrator, 17 year-old Doug Hanson. Doug lives next door to his best friend, Andy Morrow. The two boys could not be more different: Doug is a model-train obsessed outsider who dreams of a romance with one of the "pretty girls" but can never make himself talk to her; Andy is the football team's starting quarterback and acts in school plays.

This novel reminds me of Chris Lynch's Inexcusable Even from the beginning of the novel, something is off about Dougie. Like Lynch's Keir, the way Doug tells his stories and the details he chooses to avoid hint that his interpretations of events isn't entirely factual.

This isn't Hautman's most celebrated work, yet I was was engaged from start to finish, Given how much I enjoyed watching Doug develop as a character, I am certain this will not be the last Hautman novel I read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible.