Sarah Kelsey's Reviews > The Mage in Black

The Mage in Black by Jaye Wells

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: chicklit, paranormal, urban-fantasy
Read on March 29, 2011

I apparently skipped book 1, but I don't think it was necessary. That is a plus for this book; the author doesn't worry too much about exposing the events of the previous novel. They arise as needed, but I didn't feel that I'd missed anything by skipping the first book and the author didn't engage in that annoying first chapter recap of last week's episode.

This is another urban fantasy chick-lit series. The protagonist is a badass vampire/mage assassin with a twin sister who happens to be an oracular oil-painting hippie chick. Readers are treated to the protagonist's assessment of the physical attractiveness of every male, whether werewolf, mage, or vampire, and the romantic tension in this novel is stretched between her heart level feelings for a mage and her crotch level feelings for a vampire. She seems to repress her emotions a lot, but for someone who supposedly ignores her feelings, she seems to be very much aware of her emotional state. I find that contradictory. There's also a lot of vomiting in this novel. But those are my chief complaints. The book is actually pretty well written and does a good job keeping events hopping.

I would recommend this to fans of both the paranormal and mystery genres, and to readers who like event-driven plots. This isn't really going to satisfy the romantic reader. The protagonist her is very much a "hard boiled dick" of the vampire chick variety. This does include some sex scenes, and some of the information revealed about this character suggests future sexcapades in following novels, so that is something readers should consider when making the decision whether or not to read this.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mage in Black.